Bad Mum 2B

Bad Mum 2B

Saturday 3 February 2018

Flashbacks of a first time mum



So you’ve made it. Whether your pregnancy was easy, tough, planned, unexpected or perhaps you have become a parent through surrogacy or adoption, hopefully your little one is now in your arms and you experiencing the new baby bubble.
My pregnancy was alright. Some highs, some lows. You can read my stories over on my site, Merin and Co. My birth was long and tough and resulted in an emergency c-section – you can read about it here!
However you have become a mother this little babe in arms is about to rock your world.

Here’s a few little examples of how Heath rocked ours!

The Hospital
I’d hoped for a serene water birth with only gas, air and my inner strength to get me through. Unfortunately, no amount of positive thinking could overcome my genetics and so gestational hypertension was my destiny.
After 40 hours and an emergency caesarean our baby boy arrived. He was absolutely perfect with a crazy amount of hair! Feel free to check out my Instagram feed to see just what a baby mullet he has – he is frequently compared to either any member of The Beatles or Paul Weller.
Due to the c-section I ended up with an extended hospital stay.
The hospital food wasn’t to die for but the care was. I couldn’t be more thankful for how the staff helped me care for not only Heath but myself too. I hadn’t anticipated an extended hospital stay but I cannot fault the care. You can find my full birth story here


Feeding
When it came to feeding Heath it was anything but a natural. As I wedged my boob in to his mouth and he lay their gazing around, a successful breast feeding experience seemed miles away.
The staff at the hospital showed me so many different tactics.
Despite the tactics Heath still didn’t seem interested. Fortunately one of the nurses recommended nipple shields which I bought as soon as we left the hospital and they were amazing. We were away and haven’t looked back since.
Although I breastfeed, what matters most is that your baby is fed! Feed your baby how you want and don’t let it be something that causes you stress. Having a new born is crazy enough without added pressure so whatever works for you – do it! 

Emotions
Here was my beautiful baby so gorgeous and peaceful. It was amazing. But it was also the toughest of times.
Like when I dropped my full maternity pad on the bathroom floor. I couldn’t physically pick it up. There was a lot of swearing and then a lot of sobbing. My husband had to help me out – something that didn’t faze him at all but greatly upset me.
My experience of birth is one where I lost all control. I needed lots of help in the early days due to the surgery. This again was something that I found a challenge as I like to be able to do things at my own pace under my own steam.
However, the overwhelming love was something I could never have anticipated. Staring at our sleeping little man has become my new hobby. I adore him and could not be more grateful for his safe arrival in the world.




Colic
Once Heath had come through the first few sleepy days and began to feed he also began to scream. I haven’t heard of a baby that hasn’t experienced either colic or reflux in some way.
It makes sense.
Your baby has never eaten before; of course it’s going to take their tiny stomach a while to adjust.
Fortunately for us a combination of baby massage, a little Infacol and patience a helped us to overcome this hurdle. We did have our fair share of vomit waterfalls, clothes changes and sleepless nights – all part of the fun.

Sleep
It’s elusive. Take it when you can. If that’s at 10am – do it. 3pm – do it.
If you’re one of the lucky ones and your baby sleeps through the night, congratulations! Although we’ll be pleased for you, us sleep deprived peeps might find your triumph just a little too much to take, so try not to brag please.

Overall
Becoming a first-time mum has been the best thing I have done so far in life. Hands down, there is nothing that compares to the love that I feel for Heath and my love grows for him every day.
It has also been the toughest thing I have ever done. My entire life changed the instant he was born and nothing I could have done would have prepared me for it.


However your baby arrives, they will rock your world!


My advice – do whatever suits you, whatever you need to get through the early days. Also find your people be they in real life, online, new friends, old friends or family – find them and go to them. Motherhood should not be attempted alone.

Other than that enjoy your babe when you can. It might be all the time and honestly it might not but they are a privilege to behold so love them. Hard.

Love Erin x


Erin can be found @merinandco on insta, or her website is merinandco.co.uk
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Thank you so much for featuring me! It was so much fun to write. Erin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome! Thanks for your great post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig